Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week Eleven... of the Super Stitches Knitting Project

So this week's challenges were
1) Mock Cables
2) Double Diamond Panel
3) Ridge and Furrow Panel

(Remember, I'm in the panel section so for the next month or so I'm going to have pretty wee swatches.)
SWATCH 1: Mock Cables
This swatch lays flat and is very elastic.
But I didn't enjoy working these at all. I think real cables are much much easier because you only have to keep track of which row is your cable row and the rest of the time you're just doing ribbing. In this stitch, you have to keep track of where your purls are going at all times.
Mock Cable Swatch
 Plus, real cables look better.

SWATCH 2: Double Diamond Panel.
How long has it been since I've found a mistake in this book? 3 pages ago? Yeah. This swatch looks basically like a seeded diamond in the book.
 then when you follow the instructions you get a diamond within a diamond, which is a lot more like what the name sounds like.
Double Diamond Panel Swatch
I worked this twice, so it was not a human error. Well, i guess it still was a human error.... but it wasn't MY error so that's nice to know.
Other than the fact that I liked the picture in the book better, there were no problems with this swatch. I imagine it running down the length of a gansey, or running width-wise around a hat. It was very easy to keep track of what row I was on with these. Even with a few extra selvedge stitches thrown in I was able to see the pattern forming and could follow along easily.

SWATCH 3: Ridge and Furrow
I was very surprised that this was my favorite swatch, both to work and to look at.
Ridge and Furrow Panel
The repeat is 15 stitches, 6 rows. It was so easy to work. The rows practically told you what number they were. Like, watch, okay? This isn't the whole pattern, just the bits in the asterisks.
row 1: p1,k1
row 2: k1, p2
row 3: p1, k3
row 4: k1, p4
row 5: p1, k5
row 6: k1, p6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6
It was so easy!
I wish I had made a bigger swatch of this, but I didn't feel like casting on 30 stitches. Now I see that it does pull in some and that it would have been just fine with 30.

So that's it for this week. Next week I have to do:
1) Ladder Panel
2) Steps Panel
3) Anchor Motif.

And in completely unrelated news, look at the yarn I dyed.

I first dyed it with Lipton tea to get an ugly skin color, then over-dyed it with dark and neon blue food coloring to get this subdued hue. Yum. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting ♥