Saturday, October 15, 2011

A failure or two...

So remember the KnitPicks Sugarbunny I bought? The pink and purple lusciously soft angora/merino blend? Well, I wanted to make a special pair of wristwarmers for my sister (hence the girly colors).
After much searching I found a beautiful pattern, Andreas Mitts. Unfortunately the pattern was $6 so I turned my searching elsewhere. But, just for kicks, I added it to the Pattern Wishlist in my most frequented Ravelry group and then went to bed.
Well, the very next day I found that a lovely owl had gifted me both the mitts and the shawl that goes with them.
Now, I hadn't known there was a shawl, as well. But I definitely didn't have enough of the Sugarbunny to make the shawl AND the mitts, so I used some Caron Simply Soft from the stash to try out the pattern.
Mistake 1) The pattern calls for a sport weight yarn and I chose a worsted weight
I justified this by saying "well, the Simply Soft is a pretty thin yarn anyways. Besides, I don't have any sport weight and if i make the small size it should work out."

Mistake 2) The pattern calls for an alpaca blend yarn and I chose a 100% acrylic
I have no excuses for myself on this one.

Anyways, I cast on and worked the cuff. Which turned out very nice, cheap yarn aside, and I quickly decided these were going to be awesome.

But when I got to the hand things started to get ugly.
1) I apparently suck at jogless stripes when working 2 row stripes
2) I also apparently can't keep track of increase rows unless I mark them down in a notebook and cross off each one as I finish
3) I am too proud to use stitch markers for something as easy as a thumb gusset.

So I frogged the first attempt at the hand and went to bed. The next day I worked on, and finished the hand. The entire time, there was this niggling feeling. A whisper in my mind saying "they are too big."

So it is. I won't be making a second mitt. At least not with this yarn/needle combination. Unless I find a person with big manly hands who wants a pair of acrylic slytherin colored gauntlets with leafy wrist detail and a picot trim.

The pattern is really lovely though, and I did a picot bind-off for the first time ever. Which was much easier than I'd imagined and which I might have to incorporate into other projects later on.
So that was one failure.

Now for the "or two."
I'm not sure if this is going to end up being a total failure or not.
 I finished the sleeves of my Hello Baby Cardigan last night.
The sweater is cute and small and soft.
The opening at the center is far too wide.
Far too wide.
I obviously can't just do an I-cord trim and let that be it. Some other ravelers have had the same issues and fixed it with a bit of extra I-cord loops or crochet edging.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, just yet.
I might just pick up all the stitches and work a plain garter stitch border, reminiscent of the baby sophisticate sweater.
Who knows. All I know is that it is not the perfect little project I was hoping it would be. The yarn isn't exactly the most beautiful thing ever, either. It definitely needs a good blocking and keeping it in my purse means a ton of wrinkles.

So, in the face of failure what do I do?
Something simple.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that really sucks.
    I'd do as you already suggest and add a GS border to the cardi.
    There's a very similar cardigan (also free on ravelry) which does close well - the Garter Yoke Baby Cardigan. I made it for friends with success.


Thank you for commenting ♥