Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WIP Wednesday

My newest work in progress is another venture in crochet. Somehow, I feel like knitting without a pattern takes a lot more math and work than crocheting without one, and like I can just bust out the hook and make whatever I want. Recently I've been wanting to make granny squares!

I have only made a few grannies in my life- just the few I needed for that cowl. But I really wanted to see what they looked like with different colors for each round. I thought some self-patterning yarn would do the trick, and I had some Bernat Mosaic in the stash.

Mosaic on left, Paton's Decor on right
The last time I used Mosaic, I made some slippers for my mom and I just about hated working with it. A few words must be said about this yarn:
1) Texture- My yarn is disgusting. It absolutely feels like jute or straw. The darker bits are rougher than the lighter bits, and are also much thicker. I say "MY" yarn, because at the store, I have felt the Bernat Mosaic and it is much softer. I don't know if this is because I have a darker colorway? (Check the comments in the Mosaic Ravelry page, and there are several people with a dark colorway complaining of texture) Or if it's because I bought this skein in 2010 and they have changed the yarn for the better.
2) Color changes- They are not regular, which is forgivable but still irritating.
3) Breakage- It is weak, and I'm glad I'm doing a border in a different yarn (Paton's Decor) so I don't have to deal with seaming with it.

But the yarn issues aside, it is coming along swimmingly. The plan is something like this:


I already have 7 grannies done, but the awkward color-changes in the yarn meant that I may as well have used solid colored yarn, changed the color every row, had prettier squares, and more ends to weave in.


I hate weaving in ends, though, which is why I'm going to keep crocheting granny squares until the ball is gone, and then pick the 9 best ones. I'll pick a few of the leftover squares to make a cute little wallet to put inside.
I like the grannies because it's been averaging 85 degrees lately, and my house retains heat. A lot of heat. So yes. That's what I'm working on right now.

Check out more at Tamis Amis!

7 comments:

  1. How funny, I've been working on granny squares this week - having never made any before!

    That yarn doesn't sound too fabulous - hope you get some good sqaures out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I learned to crochet, I said I always wanted to learn how to make granny squares. Now that I can, they can be addicting since they go so fast. Yours are coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny squares are such great little projects. Sorry that your yarn choice is less than appealing but your squares are looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty colors together. I think changing color every row and having ends to weave in should be avoided, lol. I do enough weaving in when I assemble ghans from others squares that I never make them that way myself. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plus, that way you won't ever have to work with that yarn again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. grannies are great small projects! its a bummer about the yarn color, but the bag idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have yet to learn how to make granny squares, but it's on my list. I do like the colors of the Mosaic yarn - I adore greens and pinks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥