Wednesday, March 21, 2012

WIP Wednesday

On Sunday morning I received an update on my Facebook from Craftsy- their entrelac beanie workshop was on sale.

I have always wanted to learn entrelac, and the one time I tried- from this pattern in Hip Knit Hats- it was an utter disaster. In fact, I have often looked back on that failure and thought of it as proof that I am not a "Real Knitter."

So what did I have to lose? I signed up for the class. I have taken one other Craftsy course (also during a sale) and enjoyed it quite a bit. The $9.99 for the workshop was only $4 more expensive than buying the pattern, with the added benefit of being able to take part in discussions and asking questions of the designer (in my jammies, no less!). For a normal pattern, I don't think I would shell out the ten bucks, but this was entrelac!

As it turns out, entrelac- just like cables, just like kitchner stitch, and just like short rows- isn't as hard as I made it out to be.
Skeeter Beanie

I am really enjoying the workshop, so far, even though when I first signed up I was under the impression it was a video class like the one I had taken before. (Fit Your Knits class with Stephanie Japel.) It is not a video at all, just a series of well-taken, well-described photographs with very clear details to what your next step is. Not what I expected, but still useful.

I think my favorite part is that I learned how to knit backwards!

Project Stats:
Cascade 220 Wool

Yarn: Cascade 220 from the partial-ball bag
Needles: Size 6- down one size from the pattern
Mods- I did one extra tier before starting the decreases, because I thought it was looking short. Now that I think about it, that may have been a mistake because the rate of decreasing is much different in an entrelac hat than in a plain stockinette. If it turns out to be a bad idea, I'm not sure I will go back and fix it. It would be much easier to find someone with a big head.
Holy crappy webcam Batman!
I don't know. I'm barely at the first set of decreases and it is already pretty big.... And I know from experience that Cascade blocks out huuuuge. But I was thinking I wanted it to be sort of slouchy. We shall see. It is not, after all, about having a knit hat. It's about learning new techniques and facing up to your challenges.


So does having entrelac under my belt make me feel like a "Real Knitter"? Sorta. But only because I made the effort to learn something new. I love that about knitting!


Thanks for reading and check out more WIPS at Tamis Amis. ^_^

20 comments:

  1. I wish I had the nerve to try entrelac. Your hat is very cute so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Beanie is looking great. I love the colour combi.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried entrelac (have to say, there are very few patterns that appeal to me - although I love looking at other people's, I can't picture myself wearing them) - but yay for new skills. I love that there are so many things to try out when it comes to knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a real knitters, since you spend energy in learning new things. So don't be so hard on yourself. The hat is looking fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous, well done for trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your beanie is going to be gorgeous, I love the colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome hat! and you just encouraged me to try something new. I always think a new skill would be too hard, instead of just trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great! I love entrelac. Learning to knit backwards is a thrill, isn't it? I sometimes want to do it just because. I hate purling; I wonder if I could get fast enough at knitting backward that I could give up purling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review of your Craftsy course. I think it's good for them to know that you expected a video course (like the one you did before) and while not disappointed that the format is a photo tutorial, your expectations were different. I have found Craftsy to be open to feedback and I bet they'll appreciate it. You have mad skills and your knitting growth is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great hat! I hope to tackle entrelac someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks cool so far! Glad to hear you've had good experiences with Craftsy classes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you're an old pro at Entrelac now! Looks beautiful! Now I just hope it fits how you want it to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hat is fabulous. Thanks for the review of your Crafty course it was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job! It's looking great. I'll have to add that to my list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer my hats a bit slouchy, you might be ok!

    Great job learning new stuff! I'm still gartering away...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It took me a long time to get but I have grown to love entrelac. Love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOOO! I've never tried entrelac, but it looks fascinating. I think the beanie would look super if it ends up a bit slouchy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a lovely hat! I haven't had the guts to try entrelac yet, but it always looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really, really love that combination of colors! Somehow it reminds me of a dessert :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥