So basically, here's what I did.
1) Wind ball into hank
2) Put yarn in pot
3) Add dyestuffs
4) Wait.....wait....wait some more
|I often use these chairs to wind my hanks into balls. The reverse process was kind of weird to me.|
|Super messy skein on account of first time ever, and not knowing how to tie it off.|
|Gather the materials|
Regular ol' food coloring
The vinegr is there to help the yarn absorb the dye, in case you were wondering. Which, honestly, you probably weren't because we've all dyed Easter eggs right? Funny smell. I was concerned it would stick to the yarn, but I think I'm in the clear.
So then I put the yarn in the pot (no presoak since I was planning a kind of kettle-dye thing) and pretended I was makin' spaghetti!
I mixed the purple and pink dye together (way more pink than purple) and put that in one part of the skein and then threw some red and blue in various spots.
|Then I just let it do it's thing.|
|Hmm....Lotsa white spots.|
Overdyed with a bit of blue and purple- more waiting for the pot to boil, waiting for the dye to take, waiting for the pot to cool, waiting for the yarn to dry.
As I waited for the yarn to dye, I discovered a pleasant surprise in our backyard:
The pattern really shows off the colors, and I'm actually kind of worried because I know I'll never be able to replicate that particular color scheme. It's kind of a bubble gum-cotton candy-fairy tale color that I am already in love with. Expect more dyeing experiments to folow: I might be hooked.