Friday, January 18, 2013

FO Friday: Fair Isle Yoke Cardigan


Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool, MC "Natural Mix"
4 contrasting colors are:
1) Taupe
2) Black
3) Grey Mix
4) Dark Gray Mix

Pattern: Fair Isle Yoke Cardigan by Elizabeth Zimmerman
My gauge was off by one stitch so I had a different cast on number, but I used the exact same charts. If I was a really particular and clever knitter, I would have gone through the trouble of centering the charts. But I'm not, and I didn't.

Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm)

Gauge: 21 st/4" (I didn't bother to check my row gauge)

I steeked this the same as the last 3 sweaters I've steeked: using this video from knitpicks.

When I picked up the stitches for the buttonband I tried to make up for my hastily sewn steek by picking up a few extra stitches at the bottom left corner and in the end just made a wobbly mess. To detract from that I decided pockets would do the trick. Invisible pockets would be more functional but since I was trying to pull the eye away from the bottom button band I went with simple patch pockets.


They ended up being just what I wanted.




The buttons were from Joanns: I long for the day where I have a button stash but until then I'm just going to have to run to the shop every time I knit a sweater, carrying the finished garment over my arm and putting buttons up it and muttering to myself, "Ugh that's ugly," "Oh no that clashes way too much," and "Why don't any of these buttons have shanks?" And the like.

I wore this sweater all day yesterday, from the moment I weaved in the ends to the minute I went to bed. I took it off only long enough to sew on the pockets! All in all, I love my new cardigan. It has imperfections, of course, but it is very warm and very cozy and very wearable.

I got my tiger to model it for you guys.


That's it, I guess
I'm linking up with Tamis Amis today.
Happy Friday.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful cardian. Have fun wearing it. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the cardigan and enjoy it now, just popping over from Tami's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful sweater! I am itching to do colorwork and all the colorful sweaters I am seeing today are making me jealous!! Great job .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is gorgeous! When I read about steeking I get a bit panicky, I have no idea why since I've never even done it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sweater - fair isle scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! The pockets are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sweater is gorgeous. I think it looks completely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cardigan is lovely - I think it really fits you well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous sweater! I still haven't tried my hand at steeking yet. And I was at Joann's right before Christmas, holding buttons up like that. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job! Love the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's some lovely knitting....and interesting tiger too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥