Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pea Wee Coat Progress

My first crochet garment is nearing completion:


Pattern: Pea Wee Coat by Vickie Howell
Yarn: Washable Ewe by Stitch Nation
Hook: H
Modifications: None, because I'm a freaking beginner at this. Well, okay I may have inadvertently made one sleeve far longer than the other but that was less of a modification and more of an accident with gauge. Oddly, it's the sleeve that looks short in the above picture that is actually the long one.
 
Other than the sleeves, the crocheting actually went quite well. Then, of course I reached that point where I was done creating the pieces and was just kind of staring at them like "hmm... now what?" 
I learned quite a bit in the last year about how to seam knit pieces properly and it was like I was starting all over again with crochet. Luckily I had bought that Craftsy course "Beyond Rectangles," and I logged on and watched the bit about seaming. You know what she suggested? Whipstitch.

The whole time I was seaming (and it took almost an hour to do this wee sweater) I was sitting there like, "Whipstitch? Seriously!? Whipstitch." but it worked. The seams are a little bulky but the blend in surprisingly well with the single crochet and it hasn't even been steamed yet! I still have to sew the collar on, though, and the pockets because a girl can only seam for an hour before starting to go completely insane. After that, though it's just about done once I find the right buttons for it.

I was so bummed because I thought I had the perfect buttons in my stash.


And it turns out they're only ALMOST perfect: They're too small and go right through the buttonholes. :(
So tomorrow I'll have to start hunting for some slightly larger skull & bone buttons. Le Sigh.

So that's where I'm at. And while I'm here talking about crochet garments let me just say that I am most likely never crocheting a sweater for myself. I'll stick with the knit goods and leave crochet for little stuffed animals and granny squares.

P.S>
Hey! It's wednesday! Guess I'm linking up with Tamis Amis ;)

4 comments:

  1. Great color but don't scrap those fabulous buttons yet. How about making your button holes a wee bit smaller by sewing them in a bit? You can always make button holes smaller ... it's make them bigger that's impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well since I had only bought the 2 buttons I had to run to the store anyway, but it turned out that they didn't have any larger ones and I will be doing just what you advised. Thanks for the suggestion ♥
      I just hope that they still look ok with the smaller size.

      Delete
    2. I was going to suggest the same thing!
      Something about great minds should go here...
      -Nicole
      Knit, Nicole, Knit!

      Delete
  2. I agree with a previous poster. Try making your button holes smaller. Those are great buttons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥